Your support helps keep the site running! We recommend books and products we believe in. Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Read our affiliate disclosure.
Reading books can help a 3-year-old’s cognitive development. Although they can’t fully read any, they love to listen to books and possibly read it on their own. But searching to find those good ones, needs effort. To help you save the day here is a list of the best books for 3-year old’s that you can choose for your child.
What are the Best Books for 3-year-olds?
Pip & Posy The Christmas Tree
Pip and Posy bake cookies and decorate their Christmas tree. Posy leaves, and when she returns, she finds out one cookie missing. And then another one. Shortly after, Pip is not feeling well, as he ate everything. This is where Posy comes for help. Another story of our favorite duo from the award-winning illustrator and writer Axel Scheffler. A holiday series story of empathy, love, kindness, and honesty.
The Wonderful Things You Will Be
One of the things that definitely catch children’s attention is the fun and colorful illustrations that can be found in books. And The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin certainly does have exactly just that. A book written in rhymes is a warm hymn in life, curiosity, and dreams. But this story is not only enjoyable for children but to us as parents. It is a book about the anticipation, hope, and how parents are willing to give everything just so that their child’s dream comes true.
- Your kid may enjoy the illustrations more than the story. Parents will probably love both.
- The book has humorous and beautiful illustrations that will enjoy by your child. It has a truthful and loving message that will endure for lifetimes. It also has a beautiful message to be whatever you want to be, and everything is possible. The book is also a New York Times bestseller.
The Kindhearted Crocodile
The book is about a crocodile with powerful jaws and big sharp teeth. However, it has the kindest heart that is sensitive and gentle. The series is a picture book that can give fun to your child.
When she was little, she wanted to be a star. Her older sister was shining, she was already there. Awards, distinctions, achievements, everything was well done by the big sister. Until her grandfather told a story, the history of the world, from the big bang to the stardust from which we are all made.
- The explanation of the big bang or why we are all made of stardust may sound strange, but it’s a story, right?
- It will teach your child that everyone is unique. It can be one of the most recommended stories for your kids. It will help them to shine in their own way.
Yellow Bird (Pink Monster)
Yellow Bird is a series about the value of sharing. The Yellow Bird will remind the reader to be a steward of our mother earth and set ideas for humanity’s sake.
- There is no negative thing I can say in this book. It is highly recommended.
- Yellow Bird is a funny but simple story that tells the readers about vital issues like migration, climate change, and how to overcome physical disabilities. It also shows the importance of sharing knowledge and culture.
Bear and Chicken
Bear and Chicken can be an excellent addition to your collection of best books for little kids. This series is a story about the friendship of Bear and Chicken. The soup recipe part can be fun for your child. The book has fun illustrations that can amaze your baby.
Best Word Book Ever
The best about it is that it is a classic word book that is suitable for every child. It features everything from grocery stores to airports.
- Adults may not like some of the gender roles presented
- It is filled with hundreds of objects that are labeled. With this, the vocabulary of your child can be improved. It has beautiful pictures that can enjoy your baby. It can be a great learning book for your little ones.
How to be a Lion
Leonard likes to be different. He is a lion that loves to dream, to think, to write poems. He is kind and has a duck as a friend! How to Be a Lion is a book about mindfulness, being true to yourself and standing by your friends. Ed Vere wrote an inspiring story of friends who face bullies.
- I didn’t have a problem with that but the book’s style is a lot like Ferdinand the bull, plus it offers the anti-bullying message.
- It is a thoughtful, funny, and sweet story that can open the reader’s eyes about the necessity of difference and respect for the other and ourselves.
Animalphabet is one of the famous toddler books in the market. Animalphabet is a creative and full of surprises lift-the-flap book that generally teaches our kids the alphabet with the use of animals. Just like any other book by Julia Donaldson, this book also has rhymes in it, which the kids will surely love to hear over and over again.
You may also have a look our more detailed Animalphabet review.
- Well, in this book, some of the phrases used to describe animals are a bit off and may cause confusion to our little ones.
- This book is a must-have for preschool. Aside from the fact that our little ones will have fun learning the alphabet and animals, this book is packed with exciting surprises and guessing games, comes with peekaboo holes in the artwork and beautiful colors that will surely make your kids turn to the next page until the very last.
The Secret Birthday Message
This is also one of the great books for toddlers that you can buy. Tim found a mysterious letter under his pillow. He half-rose to his bed and opened the letter. It was a hidden message written in code. Follow the tracks page by page and go after a treasure hunt to a wonderful birthday surprise. This is one of Eric Carle’s award-winning literary works.
The Little Engine That Could
This story from Watty Piper is about a train carrying gifts and toys for children, but it falls apart and cannot bring them to the children. The train asks several trains that pass by for help, but they all decline for various reasons. Ιt is a classic book with such a great message to children.
- It’s a bit dated in some aspects, but the story itself is enduring. You may also find the older version has a bit poor illustrations.
- The good thing about this book is that it tells about positive thinking, motivation, perseverance, and determination.
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me: Book and CD (The World of Eric Carle)
Monica looked up at the sky and saw the moon. It was beautiful, and it looked so close. “Daddy, please get the moon for me,” she told her dad. This is a beautiful book from the unique and tender Eric Carl, who wrote the book in 1986!
- You may feel that you want more to read in the end, and some of the pop-up designs may be problematic.
- Monica’s dad picks up the big ladder, goes up to the moon, and at the right moment, takes it in his hands and down to his daughter. Sounds familiar? 🙂 Eric Carl wrote a sweet story and can be a perfect gift for fathers who spend time reading books for their children. Also, you are getting some simple astronomy.
Now that you have learned about the best books for 3-year old’s, you can choose the best one for your child. It can be beneficial for your kid’s cognitive development.
A story can be a good investment for your time, budget, and effort. If you want to spend quality time with your kid, reading these stories during day or bedtime is love at a first sight 🙂
Also check out our book recommendations for kids at the age of 4.
At the age of 3, your child can learn how to count and about the alphabet. They can absorb information by asking questions and processing information. In this stage, your child’s imagination and mind can develop. With that, it is a good idea to invest in books for toddlers.
In today’s modern generation, board books are good for 3-year old kids. The illustrations included will be super fun for your little one and he/she will love you for that.